Selection process steps
As discussed in last article, selection process or selection procedure involves a series of steps to be followed for choosing the suitable person for the vacant job. This process starts after recruitment and divides the candidates in two parts those who will be offered job and those will not be. There is a need of well-organized selection process because only then right type of candidate can be selected and unsuitable candidates are rejected. The selection process varies from organization to organization and even from department to department within the same organization. Like in some organizations medical examination is done after final selection while in other it may be done before final selection. However every organization designs the selection process as per its need. The main selection process steps are:
1. Preliminary interview: the selection process generally starts with this step where the totally unsuitable applicant is eliminated. Thus the organization is saved from the expenses of processing the applicant through the remaining steps of selection. The candidates who pass this step are only asked to fill the application form.
2. Receiving applications: after passing the preliminary interview the candidate is asked to fill the standard application form. The application form generally consists the information about the age, qualification, experience etc. of the candidate on the basis of which the interviewer gets the idea about the candidate and this information also helps in formulating questions.
3. Screening of applications: after receiving the applications the screening committee screens the applications. Only the candidates who qualify the criteria of the screening committee are called for the interview. Usually the candidates selected for interview are four to six times than the number of posts. Interview letter is sent to them or they are called telephonically.
4. Employment test: after getting the interview letter and before going to the interview there is one more step and that is the employment tests. These tests are done to check the ability of the candidate. These tests vary from organization to organization and change as per the need of the particular job. these tests are intelligence tests, aptitude tests, trade tests, interest test, personality tests etc. these tests must be designed properly otherwise they will not good indicator of one knowledge.
5. Employment interview: the candidates who qualify the above tests are called for the employment interview. This interview is done to get more information about the candidate, to give him the actual picture of what is required from him, to check the communication skill of the candidate etc. for senior position post; a panel is prepared who take the interview. At the end of interview of each candidate the members of panel discuss about the candidate and give him the grades.
There may be direct interview or indirect interview. The interview should be conducted in a room free from the noise and disturbance only than the candidates will be able to speak freely and frankly.
6. Checking references: before selecting the employ the prospective employee generally look out for the referees given by the candidate. To check about the candidate’s past record, reputation, police record etc.
7. Physical examination: The organizations generally prefer medical examination to be incurred of the person to avoid time and expenditure spend on the medically unfit person. Sometimes the organization may ask the candidate to get them examined from the medical expert.
8. Final selection: after all these steps the candidate is selected finally. He is appointed by issuing appointment letter. Initially he is appointed on probation basis after finding his work satisfactory he is appointed as permanent employee of the organization or otherwise he may be terminated.
Thus, all the above said steps of selection are important for the appointment of right kind of person for the right job.
3 thoughts on “Selection process steps”
Finally, after browsing https://managementation.com/selection-process-steps/ for a while, I got a blog from which I was
able to actually grab worthwhile facts in regard to the studies
and the knowledge that I want. There need to
be more things like this on Chyrp
Very useful thanx very much