A Finite subset of population, selected from it, with the objective of investigating its properties is called ‘sample’. In sample method we select a part of the universe and conclusions are drawn on the basis of entire universe. R. A. Fisher define sample in four words—speed, economy, adaptability and scientific approach. In this article, we will discuss the advantages and disadvantages of sample method.
Advantages of sample method:
1) Time saving: this method saves time not only in conducting the inquiry but also in processing, editing and analyzing the data.
2) Reduction in cost of inquiry: as whole universe is not studied so it saves the administrative, training, transport cost etc.
3) Reliable: by doing a careful analysis of the data sampling method gives reliable results.
4) Greater scope: due to administrative, transportation, training and man power cost of the census method the sampling method has the greater scope.
5) Infinite population: if the population is too large then the sampling method is the best way to find the solution.
6) Man power: census method require huge administrative set up but the sampling method does not require too much man power and administrative set up.
Also read : meaning and principles of sampling
Disadvantages of sampling method:
1) This method fails if we want the information about the whole universe.
2) Sometime sampling method take more time and man power than the census method.
3) If the sampling method is not used properly than it may lead to wrong results.
4) A good sampling result requires experienced and qualified personnel.
These are the advantages and disadvantages of sample method.